Monday, June 7, 2010

Ghajini

Wondering about the title of this post? Even I wondered about the title of Amir Khan`s Ghajini before it was released. And I again wondered and was surprised when I saw my face in a mirror after getting haircut this sunday. It took a couple of seconds to identify myself and also to realise that I have had the shortest hair ever in my life. Yes, that is what Ghajini is what all about. I knew people are going to give weird reactions and everyone is surely going to ask Y? People did give their feedbacks. I took all of them as compliments. I will tell you why! There were 4-5 people who said it was looking good. A woman in my office said I looked scary. This is a compliment coz I dont really want to look good or handsome to impress women. And thirdly a couple of women told ame that I have very nice hair and I look good in long hair. And most of the comments focussed on Ghajini. That I look like Aamir Khan of Ghajini (except for that stripe and few scars on my head. I do have a few scars on my head which reminded me of so many head injuries I have had). Thank you very much all of you. But I had this haircut just for myself. Because my insticts asked me to get it done. The aim was not at all to have the Ghajini look or to look scary or to let people compliment on my (missing) long hair. We, the human beings, realise value only when a thing/person/feeling goes missing. Its true.

Another thing i want to discuss very shortly here is the latest movie I saw. RAAJNEETI. Yeah! The samePrakash Jha movie. The same movie which I wanted to see not because of subject, cast, director or any other reason except that it has been shot entirely in Bhopal. However, the nature of movie is such that if you concentrate on the shooting and glimse of Bhopal, you may miss links in the movie. However I did not miss either of this. Bhopal looks as pretty as it really is. I could have suggested certain better locations of Mr. Jha. The concept of movie is good. Where the themes of Mahabharat and Godfather have been merged. -Manojbajpai -Suyodhan- very nice;
Ajay Devgan - Karn- fantastic
Nana- Krishna
Ranbir Kapoor- Michael Corleaone (less shades of Arjun)
Katrina Kaif - looks more like Gandhari
Mother- Failed as the portrayal of Kunti
Arjun Rampal- Sonny Corleone/Bhim
Chandra Pratap- Pandu, etc etc..........


But they havent been merged successfully. As you can gather, I have negative reviews about the movie. The truth about the politics shown in the movie (as compared with Mahabharat) in nicely portrayed but not really new and convincing. The director has portrayed as if the characters in the movie as still living in the Dwapar Yug of Mahabharat. There is Rajgaddi, there are contenders which are all in a family, there is morality as well as immorality but where is the Law and Order which exists today? If one makes a very logical movie, then you have to make sure nothing about it should be either illogical or unreasonable.

However, seeing so many familiar places in a movie for the first time was a great experience. I could identify almost 80 percent of the locations bang on target. My entire life in bhopal including my college life has been around those roads and locations. The climax of the movie whether Ajay-Manoj's Scorpio is pushed in a ditch was exactly in the same place where i got down from my car to pull out a election pamphlet/poster of Katrina Kaif. The U-turn the cars take when Chandra Pratap dies in where I was stuck in a scarry procession of Muharrma with my mom inside our car. And there are so many memories attached to almost each oand every location. So inspite of not liking this movie so much, I will make sure I have this movie in my collection.

2 comments:

  1. Right about the movie sir. The best part for NLIU students was of course Bhopal, and we could actually relate to all the places shown. i think i also faintly saw the boy's hostel in one of the scenes of Som's house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. True! I also tried searching for a glimpse of NLIU but unfortunately could not find.

    ReplyDelete